Fri, 26 Aug|
Manchester Library Walk (glass tunnel)
Manchester Critical Mass
Manchester Critical Mass is a FREE bike ride that happens in Manchester and cities all over the world on the last Friday of EVERY month.
Time & Location
26 Aug 2022, 18:00 – 21:00
Manchester Library Walk (glass tunnel), St Peter's Square, Manchester M2 5PD, UK
About the Event
Critical Mass is a bike ride that happens in Manchester and cities all over the world EVERY last Friday of the month. In Manchester, Critical Mass meets at 6pm at Central Library...Rain or shine
Critical Mass has no leaders, and no central organization licenses rides. Critical Mass is an idea and an event, not an organization. It is a great way to meet other cyclists and to have a fun bike ride.
It is not a fast ride and often children come too, everyone is welcome to come to Critical Mass and celebrate the bicycle!
PrideOut aim to have representation at all Manchester Critical Mass events so come along and join us. We try to meet to the side of the Central Library, at the Manchester Library Walk (The Glass Tunnel) and then join up with the Mass.
Critical Mass has some RIDE GUIDELINES, these include:
1. If the light goes on red as the ride approaches the lights we stop and wait for green.
2. If the light changes part way through the ride getting through around 2 people per lane of oncoming traffic stop and cork the road. This basically means that they stand in the middle of that lane holding up their hand/ a sign saying 'thank you for waiting' so that cars will stop and let the ride stay together and go through the light safely. Thanking the drivers when everyone is through.. we are trying to get drivers onto bikes not to hate us!!!
3. Slower riders and children and people with less confidence ride at the front of the ride and to the left hand side so that they can set the pace and help to stay together and also feel safer as they are less likely to be near traffic.
4. We don't have a set route for critical mass, instead whoever is at the front at the time can choose where we go, so we take it in turns! just shout left or right or straight on in plenty of time!
5. When the PEDESTRIAN LIGHT IS ON GREEN WE STOP (traffic light on RED) if the ride has to separate we shout/use walkie talkies to communicate to the front of the ride to wait. This guideline was added in April 2010 at the annual meeting before critical mass.
6. Have Fun!!!
What bike should I use?
This event is suitable for mountain, road and hybrid bikes, in good mechanical order.. Please have your tyres pumped to the correct pressure and with oil on the chain etc. We highly recommend you carry out an 'M Check' before coming on the event to ensure you and your bike will be safe - watch this 4 minute video to see how to do this.
We know it can be nerve-racking joining a new group or event where you haven’t met anyone before… even for the most confident of people. We’ve all been in the same boat before, so we want to make everyone feel welcome. If you’d appreciate chatting someone before the event or having a buddy to meet you prior to going to the start point, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘request a buddy’
Any finally… Have fun on the event. We promise to make you feel welcome and we’re sure you will have lots of opportunities to meet amazing people.
If you have any queries or need assistance, please email email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you on the ride!
This is a free event. PrideOut is not the organiser, we are promoting on behalf of Manchester Critical Mass£0.00